If you’ve ever tripped and experienced the swelling and pain associated with an ankle sprain, you already know how painful such a condition can be.
A sprain is an injury to the ligaments, which connect bones to one another.
Mandarino Chriopractic says treatment should begin immediately following an ankle sprain in order keep swelling and pain to a minimum.
Subsequent to a mild ankle injury, Mandarino Chiropractic recommends following these measures shared by the National Center for Biotechnology Information:
1) Keeping your foot elevated
2) Cool the ankle
3) Wrap the ankle an elastic compression bandage to put mild pressure on it.
Mandarino Chiropractic also concurs with information from the U.S. National Library of Medicine and National Institutes of Health in recommending a trip to the hospital if:
- You have severe pain even when you are NOT bearing weight.
- You suspect a broken bone (the joint looks deformed and you cannot put any weight on the leg).
- You can hear a popping sound and have immediate pain of the joint.